After the Snow Falls Book Club Questions:
[Mild spoiler alert. Read the story before viewing the questions.]
- Celia has a negative impression of the medical community based on a childhood experience. Are her feelings justified?
- Celia pursues alternative therapies. Do you think they have any validity? Would you choose alternative therapies over chemotherapy and radiation? Would you use them for another, less serious disease?
- Why do you think Adele is able to forgive Alfie, and Celia is not?
- Adele has to keep forgiving after she and Alfie reunite. Do you think Adele’s decision to forgive was right? Did she do the right thing by remarrying him?
- Celia’s life is shaped by her father’s abandonment. How do you think her life would have been different if he had never left?
- Celia has to face talking about death with her son. Sarah avoids the same discussion with her son, Justin. Is there a right way to approach this issue? Is there a right age?
- Celia criticizes Sarah’s husband Dan for sheltering Justin. Is she right to do so?
- Leigh believes that it is God’s will for her daughter to die, but Celia rejects that notion. Do you believe God’s will plays a part in issues of life, healing and death? If so, how?
- It is suggested in the story that Caleb’s illness is connected to Celia’s unforgiveness. Do you believe that physical diseases can have spiritual roots?
- What was the most emotionally touching scene of the story?
- Did the story end as you expected? Were you satisfied with the ending?
- If you were to write an alternate ending to the story, what would it be?